Thursday, March 1, 2012

GREETINGS FROM THE BISTRO

March 2, 2012  

GREETINGS FROM THE BISTRO
Well, my contemplative walk with Nikki and Pico went down the tubes today. We were rained out, kaput, nadda, no-way-Ray.  They don't seem to mind in the least. Both are keeping me company, snoring softly, cozy and curled up on Grandma Smith's 200 year old wicker that graces my office. If she were alive I'm sure there would be some eye-raising. I'm of the opinion, if you've got it use it. There are so many memories that are conjured up when I look at the beautiful "back-of-a-sage leaf" green hued chairs and sewing chaise.  They were her parent's, purchased over a century ago as newly weds. Back then they were hunter green with striped cushions. As a little girl I sat and read on Gram and Gramp's front porch every summer visit wistfully enjoying their smells and creaks.  Happily, Tom and I inherited "them" (they are family you know)  in the early 80's and had the wicker repaired and changed to their present sage vs. broccoli green color. Over the years Tom kept them washed and touched up. A huge project  which he enjoyed doing.  Last spring after hours of gentle scrubbing and hosing then painting I made the executive decision to move them inside from the side porch.  Now, the pups enjoy some doggie beds extraordinaire and I still cuddle into the chaise with a book and remember past times.  

These pieces of furniture were made by passionate, proud craftsman. It shows in the glorious weaving of willow branches around a simple frame. Probably young apprentices learned from the master's weavers but could not earn a living  by spending weeks producing one chair or table or settee.   So, over the years, wicker became man-made poly "something" and the beauty was lost.  Yes, it is easy to clean; it's cheap and very throw-away-able. And, it is a sad loss of memory making.

Old is good. It is good that we have managed, through thick and thin, to remain in business for 57 years. It is good that there are many original Brady traditions. Our chili and burgers rock. The Caesar is still the best around. It's good to have customer's come in who have great stories to tell about 7 mile. It's good to be blessed with staff that has been with me for decades. I am so grateful and appreciative.   

Then there is the new. Our Bistro could not be more beautiful, at least, in our eyes. We've had an absolute smooth transition of "old" and "new" employees. It's like the "old" are "new" and the "new" are "old." We're an easy going family. We like and respect each other for what we are.  There are many new first time customers too. What a delight to meet you. And, better still, to see you walking through the door again and again.  

My heartfelt, sincere, honest and true thanks to staff and guests old and new.
It's true: "It's a Million Dollar Day."

xxoo, Mary

1 comment:

  1. We couldn't agree more with Mary's sentiments. It has been two years next week that I had my first Brady's experience on my first date with my
    boyfriend. I can remember exactly where we sat and most importantly what I ate. The butternut squash ravioli made just as big of an impression as my date did! When the new bistro opened we were excited to again eat at "our" place. Much to my surprise the fantastic dish did not make the cut. Last night, we returned to find it on the weekend special menu and it was even more delicious than I remembered. I was trying my best to petition last night for this dish to make its way back where it belongs....permanently on the menu. My challenge from Mary is to get 100 people to agree with my mission. So please comment and tell Mary how much you miss this amazing dish too!

    ReplyDelete