Friday, March 9, 2012

Bistro News 3/9/2012

Greetings from the Bistro!

What another wonderful week. The only bad news, in my estimation, was that the Michigan State basketball team lost to Ohio State. I knew when they were up 26-13 that it was a done deal. I’m a Sparty – my gut said there was no way a win was going to happen. Bring on March Madness, the Spartan’s are ready!!! We’ll have brew and bite specials during the games so watch your face book and e-mail….

A REMINDER, ST. PAT’S DAY IS NEXT Saturday. WE’LL HAVE THE TRADITIONAL FARE OF THE IRISH: CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE, IRISH STEW AND BEEF AND BEER. They WILL BE AVAILABLE STARTING THURSDAY. MR. BRIAN CLEARY WILL SING IRISH TUNES “ON THE DAY” SIX UNTIL 10. AND, IT’S OUR 5 MONTH ANNIVERSARY, 3-17, IN OUR NEW DIGS.

My Mom’s 83rd birthday is on Tuesday. She is an amazing woman, who with my dad raised 7 children. YIKES… I’m tired thinking about it… I just visited via phone, she is in St. Pete, Fla., with my sis Isabelle, and mom complained she was tired and sore from walking 18 holes of golf today. OMG… I consider myself to be an exercise maven and pray that I’m in the great physical shape that my Mom is at her age.
My mother, Marjorie Edick-Smith, is from Buffalo, as was my Dad. She is one of 10 and her surviving siblings; Annie, Mary, Bea, Dorothy, Georgie and “baby brother” Danny, the youngest, meet in Florida every year. It’s been my tradition to shop at the St. Pete’s farmer’s market and prepare an a’la minute meal for them when I visit. The Edick’s are great cooks. I learned much of what I know from them. Basic, classic cooking skills. They ate lean and mean. Back in their day, depression era, proteins were very limited. Beans ruled. Reasonable cuts of meat, that required long and slow cooking were the requisite. My Grandpa and uncle’s fished on the Niagara river for perch. Friday’s were fish and chip days. What a treat. What a memory. Forty aunts, uncles and cousins gathered every week to enjoy this glorious meal. How lucky I was. And, am, to still be able to share a meal with them.

Finally, I’d like to thank everyone who has brought pet food donations to the bistro. We are in the process of officially “teaming-up” with the Meals on Wheels people and will continue use our lobby as a drop point for food. They picked up the first load this week and were thrilled at the amount we’ve collected. LET’S KEEP IT GOING! Smaller bags are better for the older folks to handle. Open packages are acceptable too. I had intended to name our group Pets On Wheels, POW, but the name is already registered. If anyone has a catchy idea for a name send it my way. If your suggestion is chosen we’ll donate $100 worth of food to the cause.

We look forward to seeing you and the Bistro!
And, Remember: “It’s A Million Dollar Day”

XXOO, Mary
PS ~ MUSHROOM PATE’ IS BACK ON-THE-MENU!!
Ask and you shall receive!

No comments:

Post a Comment