Friday, March 30, 2012

Bistro News March 30, 2012

GREETINGS FROM THE BISTRO

What a great day I’ve had. For the first time since opening, over 5 months ago, I stayed at home and was able to do some office catch up. I don’t know about you, but, when my work space is a riotous mess I’m crazy. Usually, I’m riding Picasso in the early morning but today, for reasons unknown, he was put out to pasture and there was no coaxing him back in. As luck would have it Courtney, my friend and groom, (in her 80’s), called to warn me before I headed out to the stable. So, I took Pico and Niki on an extra long walk, worked in the yard, fed the birds and the barn cat, Uma, then, retired into a warm house and “officed” for 8 hours straight. Thankfully I have a balance ball chair that forces me to have good posture as I sit at my desk… Luv It!

I am often asked if I’m related to “the” Diamond Jim Brady. My answer is always the same: “If I were, I’d be sitting on a beach in Hawaii.” James Brady, my father-in-law, was the founder of this restaurant, Diamond Jim Brady’s in 1954. It was his idea to associate the two, as Diamond Jim was somewhat of a legend in the 20’s and 30’s.

He earned his name as a result of the tremendous jewel collection that he accrued during his lifetime. It included a 33-carat scarf pin that cost close to $2 Million. When questioned as to the authenticity of the diamond, he would carve the initials D.J.B. in the doubter’s window to assure that they’d never forget.
Diamond Jim’s equal claim to fame was the monstrous amounts of food that he consumed during a day. He was an expert diner. Ironically he was born the son of a saloon operator. His career was that of a salesman of railroad equipment, a profession at which he excelled and became a multi-millionaire. For breakfast he’d consume a full gallon of OJ, hominy, eggs, cornbread, muffins, flapjacks, chops, fried potatoes and a beefsteak. He never drank alcohol but did would drink OJ all day, and, thought that it extended his life.
A mid-morning snack was served at 11:30 and consisted of two or three dozen clams and oysters. An hour later was lunch: more oysters, clams, crabs, lobsters, a joint of beef, salad and several types of pie. An afternoon stand-by was a heaping platter of seafood. Then, time for a nap and dinner. Again oysters began the meal, which were specially picked by Maryland dealers who knew about the legendary eater. Following would be six crabs, two portions of turtle soup, lobsters, a steak, two whole ducks, a steak, vegetables (thank heavens) and platters of French pastry. A two pound box of candy was the late night snack.
In the end the strain of eating took its toll. At the young age of 56 he was diagnosed with a stomach six times larger than normal. When offered an operation to reduce its size he never considered it. He wouldd have to live with care and a “normal” diet to get another 10 years out of his life. He opted out and died five years later in Atlantic City.

After writing about all this food I’m hungry. Luckily, a friend gave me a dozen beautiful little pee-wee eggs from his Japanese Silky hens and I’ll make a frittata with sweet potatoes and fiddlehead ferns just harvested today from my woods. Maybe I’ll share with the pooches.

As a reminder we will be open on Easter, a first in many years. Sharon and I will both be working and look forward to seeing you. Check out our cool menu. We are taking reservations, so, please call to make yours.
And, our Happy Hour, a.k.a. Rush Hour (don’t you dare sit in traffic, sit at our bar) is gaining momentum. Sunday thru Thursday we have great beer, wine, drink and food specials. REALLY A DEAL!!! Check Sharon’s facebook updates daily!!!

Last week we started to take reservations all times other than Friday and Saturday evenings. It has worked out great. We are grateful to everyone who has been patient with us over the last 5 months. Thank-you so very much.

My quote for the week ~
“You’ve got a life to live. It’s short, at best. It’s a wonderful privilege and a terrific opportunity – and you’ve been equipped for it. Use your equipment. Give it all you’ve got. Love your neighbor—he’s having just as much trouble as your are. Be nice to him; be kind to him. Trust God. And work hard.”
Dr. Norman Vincent Peale’s Philosophy of Living

And, as always ~
“It’s a Million Dollar Day”
Shorty

No comments:

Post a Comment