Friday, March 23, 2012

Bistro News March 23, 2012

Greetings from the Bistro!
What a fun week we’ve had! St. Patrick’s Day was awesome – lots of yummy corned beef, lamb stew and beef n’ beer. We sold out of specials “just in time.” Meaning, we made it through the weekend. My culinary staff did a great job preparing them. Our kitchen looks big to you, but, believe me it’s a major organizational feat to transform hundreds of pounds of meat into beautiful meals. We only have 12 burners, all in the front, so any prep had to be done before opening or after closing. Great job! Which leads me into a favorite quote from Hermann Rusch, one of America’s first master chefs and a brilliant cook and educator. I had the pleasure of meeting him once at a competition and was so inspired that I read this quote, his, each day, to remind me how grateful I am to be in the hospitality profession. And, a chef to boot.
“Cooking is an art; a noble science --- Chefs are ladies and gentlemen.”
This saying has done more for me in my career than I can explain. My goal each day is to be fair, kind and generous in spirit to all. I sincerely hope that you feel this from me and my team each and every time you visit. We try really hard to make your time in the Bistro a special one.
We are proud to be ladies and gentlemen.
On a home note… my cable was out for the “big game” on Sunday. So I had to listen to MSU squeak a win via radio. At first I was very irritated not to be able to sit and watch the action but after a few minutes of listening I was kind of enthralled with listening vs. watching. The former, to listen, takes much more energy and concentration. And, I had to visualize; players running up and down the court, 3 pointers, missed shots, bad shots and the good ones too. I do admit that the last minute was torture… not to see what was happening. But, at the same time, it was exhilarating to hear the excitement in the announcer’s commentary and the crowd’s momentum. My cable is back. I’ll watch the games when I can but maybe with the sound off and radio on.
There is also the dilemma of what to do with no TV … so, when on the treadmill or elliptical I watched educational horseback riding DVD’s vs. one of the morning shows. At night I pulled out Tom’s copy of Illusions, The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach. This was a favorite book of his, then ours, read many times by each of us. All of the Messiah’s quotes are thought provoking, but our favorites were;
The bond
that links your true family
Is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life.
Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
And,
There is no such thing as a problem
Without a gift for you in its hands.
You seek problems because you need their gifts.
I’m so happy that cable was out. What a pleasure to get back to grass roots.
A Couple of other things you should know about. We will be open on Easter Sunday and offering “just like home” comfort food. Fresh ham with mac and cheese, lamb chops and scalloped potatoes, eggs benedict in addition to our brunch and dinner menus. Also we will accept reservations. Reservations have been an “issue” for us until now. After 5 months of trial and error, we feel that we are in sync to be able to take them certain times. A reservation means that a table will be available as close to your arrival time as possible. We can’t “hold” tables while there are parties waiting. In other words, no empty or held tables at any time. And, it is imperative that all members of a reservation are here for seating at the designated time. Please bear with us and understand while we work through the infant stage of this process. Our intention is to make you happy, please know that we try are best. Reservations are available for lunch (everyday), and dinner Sunday- Thursday.
We’ve also started our “Rush Hour” a.k.a Brady Happy Hour. (We always happy.) Sunday thru Thursday Chefs Sharon and Greg will have a fun food treats and Maddy, Moe, Amy and Whisper are concocting new drink specials. Last night the deviled eggs and beef tacos sold out. And, for the late nighter's the above applies: a reverse happy hour. 9-11.
Finally, we’ve had some great press. We’re “national” with the Buffalo News's review of our wings and beef on weck. Also, the Novi News and Jewish News wrote great articles. Links are on our website.
The south deck is open weather permitting. It’s been full all week which has lightened the wait time. Glorious! And, our canine friend’s have been there to support us. Doggies are welcome. Come one, come all.
Remember to drop a bag of food for our needy furry critters too. Meals On Wheels distribute the food to need pets.

XXOO, Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment